Clay County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau Tourism Grant Application
Applications for funding will be received at the Office of the Clay County Convention and Visitors Bureau, located inside the Clay County Heritage Center at 7 Grand Avenue, Spencer, Iowa. There is currently $40,000 that may be awarded yearly. Awards are made at the discretion of the CCCVB Selection Committee and, based on the number and quality of applications received, the Committee may fund one project or multiple projects in a given grant cycle. Two rounds of funding will be held each calendar year, with applications due on August 1 and February 1. $20,000 will be available for awards during each round of funding. If the full $20,000 in grant funds is not awarded within a grant cycle, that money will be carried forward into the next cycle. All funds awarded must be expended within 12 months of the award date. A typical award will be between $500 and $5,000. Applications will be as follows:
Application deadline:No later than 4:00 pm on February 1* and August 1. (Note*: For 2017 only, the application deadline will be February 15. In all succeeding years, it will be February 1)
Application format:Application narrative pages should be submitted in 12 point font and with 1" margins.
Application review:The CCCVB Selection Committee will review the applications which have been duly submitted and funding decisions will be made within the month applications are received.
Funding notification:Award notification will be made in writing no later than March 1 and September 1.
Funding dispersal:Funds awarded must be expended withing 12 months of the award date. No project expenses funded by the grant may be incurred prior to award approval. A final report must be submitted within 30 days following the event.
Download Spencer Tourism Grant Application
Spencer Tourism Grant Application Guidelines:
- Completeness of the application and degree to which the grant criteria are addressed will be top priorities.
- Eligible applicants will include any business, organization, governmental entity or individual who plans to host a public event that occurs within Clay County.
- Written notification of award will be made no later than March 1 and September 1. Funds must be expended within 12 months of the award date.
- An itemized project budget is required. This is not the organization/company budget; rather the CCCVB Selection Committee requires an itemized budget for the proposed event for which funds are requested.
- The CCCVB Selection Committee reserves the right to adjust funding requests.
- The CCCVB requires of all grantees a follow-up report at the event's conclusion as to accountability of funds spent, and a report on the event's outcome. This follow-up report must be received from grantees within 30 days of the conclusion of the event. The report will include the following: 1. Attendance figures 2. Profit/Loss statement for the event 3. Estimate of attendees from outside Clay County 4. Overall evaluation of the success of the event
- Eligible events include: Festival, performances, sporting events/tournaments or exhibits that occur within Clay County and are designed to attract participants from both within and outside of Clay County. Ideally, the event will reinforce Clay County as a tourist destination, and will serve a large segment of the population or contribute to the quality of ife for those who attend.
- Non-eligible activities include on-going operations expenses of the business or organization applying, sustaining of events after start-up funds are provided, or brick and mortar projects. Bonus scoring points will be awarded to new or multi-day events.
- The CCCVB requires grant recipients to recognize the CCCVB Tourism Grant Program in an appropriate manner when possible (for example: organizational brochure, newsletters, media coverage, event programs, etc.)
- In making the awards, the CCCVB shall take into consideration the following factors:
- Evidence of need
- Expected outcomes of the event and the impact on the county
- Sources of funding or support available to the proposed event
- Capability of applicant to manage the funds and successfully complete the event
- The degree to which this award will leverage existing financial resources or accesses support from other sources
- The degree to which this event could be accomplished without grant revenue
Scoring for sections of application is as follows:
- Purpose – 5 points
- Timeline/Activities – 30 points
- Expected Outcomes – 5 points
- Budget – 10 points
Download Spencer Tourism Grant Application